How your local municipal water supply network works?
Feb 09, 2018
Municipal water supply is the major source of drinking water in rural and urban India. For years, cities and rural hinterlands in many parts of India have faced a scarcity of clean drinking water due to various issues in the municipal water supply network.
Let's take a look at the way your local municipal water supply network works to understand this problem.
- Water Source: The water you get from your tap is sourced from a local water body, such as a lake, river, or underground aquifer. These sources are fed by rainfall or melting of ice. Coastal cities such as Chennai, are also using sea water desalination plants to convert salty water into drinking water.
- Water Works Treatment: The municipal water works facility of your town uses filtration and disinfection techniques such as chlorination to remove organic and in-organic pollutants from the water sourced from a local water body. However, the quality and reliability of these techniques have often faced questions from home owners.
- Water Distribution Network: The water is then sent across a vast network of pipes and pumping stations to be delivered to homes, apartments and office buildings. In some cases, such as in the city of Bangalore, the municipal water travels more than 100 kilometres before reaching your home.
Pitfalls of Municipal Water Distribution in India
There are several negatives that affect the quality of water supplied in Indian households through municipal distribution.
- Firstly, the water bodies in general are so polluted that any water sourced from them will require extensive treatment to purify it.
- Secondly, the number of advanced municipal water purification systems in the country, is very les, and therefore, a majority of population is simply using filtered water for drinking and cooking.
- Also, old and outdated distribution systems are prone to breakages and leaks, thus facilitating entry points for organic and in-organic pollutants.
Steps You Can Take to Get Clean Drinking Water
- Contacting the administration about the deteriorating water quality is one way to tackle the issue.
- Furthermore, you can buy a home water purifier to protect yourself and your family members from the diseases caused by water pollution.
- Also, buying a water purifier for your office can be a good idea if you spend most of your time at work.
- Building awareness about water pollution in your locality will benefit everyone and raise awareness about the harmful effects of water pollution. It will also make everyone pro-active in taking action against municipal water pollution.
Interested in buying a water purifier? Visit our website to know more about water purifier technologies at Livpure.in
Know more about our Best-Selling Water Purifiers & Air Purifiers:
Leave a Reply